Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Clutter


For the past month and a half, there’s been clutter on my office desk. Its not that I designed it that way- it just crept up little by little each day until there was a pile of I- don’t- know what on my desk. Pieces of colorful drawings coming out of my discussions, papers and notes, books my colleagues plonk on my desk in their caring way of the things I should learn by yesterday, invitation and business cards from thousands of new people I have just met, my coffee mug, bottled water, laptop, sandwich…..

Clutter affects us on many levels- firstly it is cruel to the eyes, infringes our space and affects our energy in a negative way. Often, clutter is a reflection of the state of mind or emotion that is happening within us. When I REALIZE I have clutter- (often its so obvious we don’t see it because living in it becomes the norm) I start questioning myself as I believe it means usually one of the following (i) what am hanging on to that I cannot let go (ii) what am I confused about that there is no clarity or (iii) what am I hiding from/under?


We need to clear our space. We need to let go whatever that no longer serves us purpose. Recycle, donate, throw,break up whatever. There is no use keeping that piece of paper, handbag, leather strap watch, denim jacket from the 80’s. Ok.. so I tell myself for sentimental reasons I am going to keep this one blue jacket and the white one I used to wear for classes...but 24 of them??? Do I really need all of them? ( some of you fashionistas out there may say yes but that’s not the point for today’s blog). Clutter does not only happen on the office desk, it happens in our living rooms, closets, kitchen, bedroom.-.yeah..you know where your clutter is! Whatever, wherever -clear the clutter! Let Go!


Its only when our space is clear do we allow and welcome new things, new energy to happen to us. We can’t expect things to change when we still surround ourselves with things which remind us of the old. We can’t expect change to happen when we so tightly grip to the past. Let Go! Open up that clenched fist and visualize whatever you are gripping on to is moving away. Let Go! It feels so much better!


Earlier today, I bought a color fest of files to file my papers in an orderly manner and fabulous box to store my knick knacks. I left my office smiling leaving behind a spanking clean TIDY desk! :)

Love n light

1 comment:

  1. Dear master shifu,

    hmmmm....

    point taken ms. rassa. ill try my best to open up and let fresh new air to my life. will try. wish me luck!

    mish u. muah!

    -Kungfu Panda Eyes-

    ReplyDelete